Certified Organic by Oregon Tilth
|OUR STORY||INGREDIENTS||CERTIFIED ORGANIC|
The term “organic” has legal, enforceable, verified meaning as part of the USDA’s National Organic Program. Skout Backcountry Organic products are formulated without genetically modified organisms (GMOs). The USDA's National Organic Program does not permit the use of ingredients made with GMOs in certified organic products.
A third party certification agency performs annual inspections, reviews records, and maintains documentation of practices and materials used. To be certified organic, a product must meet the standards:
- Foods were grown from organic, non-GMO seeds or plants.
- Only used natural organic fertilizers and soil amendments or approved materials from a publicly available National List.
- No sewage sludge was ever used, period.
- No synthetic insecticides, fungicides, or weed-killer were applied.
- No synthetic postharvest treatments were used if/when it was processed.
- No artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives were added.
- It wasn’t irradiated.
- No GMO ingredients were used. While we know that responsible and sustainable production of our food addresses complex problems in nature, there is also a direct connection to public health. We believe organic practices provide a framework to care for our planet in a way that supports the well-being and health for all life, wild and human. Learn more at tilth.org/focus/health
Oregon Tilth is a leading nonprofit certifier, educator and advocate for organic agriculture and products since 1974. Over the past 40 years, Oregon Tilth has led the way in organic agriculture and sustainable production methods, playing a leading role in the formation of a federal USDA National Organic Program and expanding organic sustainability beyond agriculture to textiles and other products.
As an accredited organic certifier, Oregon Tilth Certified Organic (OTCO) is internationally recognized for its leadership, innovative educational work and advocacy for organic.
We are honored by the chance to work with such a leader in the organic industry as we work to provide delicious, sustainable provisions.
"The organic products Skout Backcountry carries are sourced with compassion and integrity from the farm to the consumer. Their passion for sustainability shows in the relationships they’ve fostered and their delicious, flavorful products. My favorite is the Oregon Blueberry Almond Energy Bar — a nut, and berry explosion of awesomeness."
-Brian Scheel, Processing Program Assistant, Oregon Tilth